Sponsors

RESIMAC Financial Services Go Dance Navwealth Rapid Personal Training State Custodians
Paywise Paul Denny Conveyancing Australian Institute of Latin Dance Wyseware This Little Wiggy Treks Kokoda Donations

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The little things that make this experience even so much more special..

Wow, I'm really happy to have just had an email from a friend at work supporting me on my Kokoda Track Challenge - other than the wonderful support I get from this - it's even all the more special because, as it turns out her and her family are close friends of the Priest family and Godfrey "Rusty" Priest. (who sadly passed away in September of 2013)

Rusty was decorated war veteran who was heavily involved in the RSL and the rebuilding of community pride, awareness and involvement in Anzac Day commemorations (Initiatives such as The Anzac memorial / Anzac Bridge and the Kokoda Track Memorial Walkway to name a few). As the Anzac spirit and the recognition of our serving men and women are so key to this challenge for me it means quite a lot to find a link such as this and it makes it so much more special.

Personally, I've been trying to learn a bit more about The Kokoda Track and find out more detail about the events that make it so iconic in Australian military history, but this really does give me more learning to do. I wasn't aware of Rusty prior to Kathryn's email in support, but from all that I have read since, Rusty epitomises not only the Anzac spirit but a lot about what I believe it means to be Australian.

I'm definitely going to find out more about him, so even though I never knew him whilst he was alive I can appreciate everything that he has done for me.

Here's a couple of links that I have found so far - so if you would like to find out more you can too..


ABC News article
Parliament of NSW - Tribute
War memorials NSW - Anzac Bridge
Kokoda Track Memorial Walkway

No comments:

Post a Comment